Sunday, November 13, 2011

Encouragement 4 The Day :“Strong At the Broken Places”


In reading an article by Martha Beck I came across a quote by Hemingway “The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong at the broken places.” Oh I love the power and the lyrical beauty of a well spoken thought!
In going through struggles and in fighting depression, we tend to adopt an almost a fatalist point of view. We literally cannot see the forest for the trees but remember: NOTHING lasts forever!
I’m also learning to put things in perspective (one of my favorite words). When I consider the fact that one day this world will end a weird thing happens. It then makes no sense for me to get upset about bills, failures, and disappointments…you think I’m joking but it really works. Try it when you’re late for an appointment or you’re embarrassed about a mistake. Remind yourself that this world is only temporary and see what happens. Trivial things no longer become inflated disasters.
I don’t care what it is that you’re going through- at some point, it will end and if you endure, you will discover that you are indeed stronger at those broken places.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my blog (s) what an encouragement to me when I opened my email this morning! I sure hope your Thanksgiving was blessed, I know mine was! BTW I love the quote by Hemingway, it is so true. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're welcome Lori. It's always a pleasure-thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete