Saturday, October 22, 2011

Encouragement 4 The Day: "God's Heart"


This is an issue that I truly struggle with…I believe in God’s brilliance when I consider the world and all that He’s created but human suffering often makes me question His heart. Yes, I’ve heard the argument that God does not cause bad things to happen and that sin holds the primary responsibility for all the pain in the world however, the question then often pops into my head: “Who then in more responsible, the entity which causes the pain or the entity which has the power to prevent it?” OR is it that they share equal responsibilities?
I am afraid that yes indeed, I am a doubting Thomas as I cannot just believe or have faith without having some form of logical reconciliation to my questions. Like Thomas I need to feel the imprints of those wounds. As I struggle this is what I am realizing (i.e. my light bulb moment):
“I will never understand why suffering is allowed in many instances and not prevented by an all powerful God. I will not understand at this present moment because I cannot see the beginning from the end nor am I able to see into the hearts of man. Therefore, trying to understand a complex issue with limited vision is senseless. It’s like trying to solve a math equation with half of the problem.”
Then What? Now I understand the purpose of faith.
If I believe in God’s brilliance and I acknowledge that I cannot see what He sees then I choose to believe in His goodness whether the visible outcome is good or bad. That’s the clincher for me-that faith is not just some arbitrary form of reasoning. It’s a conscious decision to trust in an all powerful Being who obviously trumps my intellect.
I can hear the some of the mature Christians probably saying: “Duh.” Oh well (smile). We all have to EXPERIENCE God for ourselves…that’s how we build a firm foundation.  I am not one who believes in not questioning God but that’s a topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment