Saturday, October 8, 2011

Encouragement 4 The Day: “Pain, the Pulse and the Heart of God”


This is a concept that with me is presently evolving and so I’m rather hesitant to speak of it without arriving at a final conclusion. There are those thoughts however which create such a paradigm shift in ones mode of thinking, that to hold it in, creates a tremendous build up of pressure. So this post is my release of that pressure valve.
I’ve been reading Philip Yancey’s book “Where Is God When It Hurts?” and as a result was introduced to Dr. Paul Brand. Dr. Brand spent the majority of his life blazing a medical trail in the treatment of leprosy. One of the key points which he noted in his research was- that leprosy in and of itself, was not the primary cause of the disfigurements which he witnessed in so many of his patients. Instead, it was the absence of pain due to the destruction of nerve endings caused by the disease, which allowed them to injure their bodies without realizing that they were doing so. It was through this realization that Dr. Brand developed an appreciation for the phenomena of pain.
This is where the little gray cells in my brain started firing overtime. I began to consider pain (both physical and emotional) running rampant in this world.  I reflected on human suffering while noting songs such as “When Peace like a River”, or the many books available like the ones written by Joni Eareckson Tada and Philip Yancey. Each song, each book representing profound ministries born out of pain yet so positively affecting the lives of millions. Gradually I started to realize that maybe in my focusing on what was wrong with this world- I’d become blinded to the blessings of pain. Yes, indeed I said it: “the blessings of pain” and with that concept still being so new to me, I literally cringe every time I consider it.
However, when I reflect on the lives of fellow human beings who have experienced considerable tragedy while still retaining and increasing their love for and service to God, I indeed started to recognize a pattern. Something great happens and their ministries (intended or not) take on such a widened sphere of positive influence that one has to stop and take notice. An even greater phenomenon is that each contributor acknowledges their painful experience as being a positive and pivotal point in their lives.
It’s as if, when we in the midst of our pain turn to God instead of away from Him and look for reasons to praise Him in spite of the anguish, we gain access to His pulse and His heartbeat and miracles happen.  In other words, the very thing that Satan would have to destroy us, God uses it to draw us closer to Him if we would allow it. But it doesn’t stop there. He then seeks to reward us as He did with Job for, it is one thing to serve Him when it’s all going good, but when we determine to serve Him in the midst of our pain, we have placed our fingers on His pulse and He allows us to feel His heartbeat.  What greater joy can there be than to have such closeness to the heart of God?

2 comments:

  1. beautiful ..and full of wisdom and actually made a lot of sense to me .
    thank u ..ur articles always touch questions every person have asked them, at some point .
    9B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you as always for your kind words Raphael-they encourage me to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete