Friday, September 2, 2011

Encouragement 4 The Day-"Humility"

I’ve decided to dwell on this topic a bit further maybe because it’s a struggle of mine…this humility concept. I despise the thought of being taken advantage of and the admonition “turn the other cheek” literally makes me shudder. Why is this? Well, it probably has to do with my being a Type A personality, but also with the fact, that instilled in every human being is that instinct of self preservation (we Type A personalities tend to “kick it up a notch” ).
As I pondered this humility predicament I realized that if you started your actions or reactions with the end in mind, it actually makes it a little easier to swallow. For e.g. someone steals your property and you’re tempted to react negatively -remember that when it all ends and Christ returns it’s all going to be burned up anyway (put’s things into perspective doesn’t it). Someone treats you unkindly and it’s really hurting and you need to set the record straight. When Christ comes will it really matter what others think of you? That’s what I mean by reacting or acting with the end in mind. Suddenly humility is not as difficult as initially anticipated.
Disclaimer: this does not mean you shouldn’t stand up for yourself instead, it simply means that your actions will be more Christ like and you will be satisfied that the final retribution will be handled by God.
I’ll leave you with the words of one of my favorite songs: Be Still My Soul and the link to a fantastic rendition by Selah. 
                                                                  "Be Still, My Soul"
                                                        by Catharina von Schlegel, 1697-?
                                                      Translated by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897
1. Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
2. Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.
4. Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.


No comments:

Post a Comment